The AWI is focused on five mutually-reinforcing goals:
- Restore the Environment – A Clean and Active River: Charting the course for environmental healing and rejuvenation involves eliminating pollution, controlling run-off, restoring streams and wetlands and promoting water-based activities
- Connect with Transportation – Breaking Down Barriers and Gaining Access: Rethinking the design of transportation infrastructure to gain multi-modal access to waterfront lands and to better serve neighborhoods
- Play in Parks – A Great Riverfront Park System: The District’s series of isolated parks should become a system of interconnected and continuous waterfront spaces that attract residents and visitors to gather and play.
- Celebrate Destinations – Cultural destinations of Distinct Character: Bring life and celebration to the waterfront while enhancing and projecting the distinct character of communities along the waterfront.
- Live in Neighborhoods – Building Strong Waterfront Neighborhoods: Promote sustainable economic development and reconnect the city to the river and the waterfront park system.